wg-multicast - Re: MSDP Storm

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: MSDP Storm

  • From: "Lucy E. Lynch" <>
  • To: <>
  • Cc: Bill Owens <>, <>, Greg Shepherd <>, zaid <>, Matthew Davy <>, Philip Pishioneri <>, <>, mbone mail list <>, <>, <>, Al Adler <>
  • Subject: Re: MSDP Storm
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:45:06 -0800 (PST)

a bit more info on ramen here:

http://members.home.net/dtmartin24/ramen_worm.txt

"And now, the contents of that ramen.tgz file: All the binaries are in the
archive twice, with RedHat 6.2 and RedHat 7.0 versions. Numerous binaries
were not stripped, which makes the job of taking them apart easier."

asp: An xinetd config. file that will start up the fake webserver
Used on RedHat 7.0 victim machines.
asp62: HTTP/0.9-compatible server that always serves out the file
/tmp/ramen.tgz to any request - NOT stripped
asp7: RedHat 7-compiled version - NOT stripped
bd62.sh: Does the setup (installing wormserver, removing vulnerable
programs, adding ftp users) for RedHat 6.2
bd7.sh: Same for RedHat 7.0
getip.sh: Utility script to get the main external IP address
hackl.sh: Driver to read the .l file and pass addresses to lh.sh
hackw.sh: Driver to read the .w file and pass addresses to wh.sh
index.html: HTML document text
l62: LPRng format string exploit program - NOT stripped
l7: Same but compiled for RedHat 7 - stripped
lh.sh: Driver script to execute the LPRng exploit with several
different options
randb62: Picks a random class-B subnet to scan on - NOT stripped
randb7: Same but compiled for RedHat 7 - NOT stripped
s62: statdx exploit - NOT stripped
s7: Same but compiled for RedHat 7 - stripped
scan.sh: get a classB network from randb and run synscan
start.sh: Replace any index.html with the one from the worm; run getip;
determine if we're RedHat 6.2 or 7.0 and run the appropriate
bd*.sh and start*.sh
start62.sh: start (backgrounded) scan.sh, hackl.sh, and hackw.sh
start7.sh: Same as start62.sh
synscan62: Modified synscan tool - records to .w and .l files - stripped
synscan7: Same but compiled for RedHat 7 - stripped
w62: venglin wu-ftpd exploit - stripped
w7: Same but compiled for RedHat 7 - stripped
wh.sh: Driver script to call the "s" and "w" binaries against a given
target
wu62: Apparently only included by mistake. "strings" shows it to be
very similar to w62; nowhere is this binary ever invoked.

Lucy E. Lynch Academic User Services
Computing Center University of Oregon

(541) 346-1774
Cell: (541) 912-7998

Key fingerprint = 2C 80 2F 8C 5F 68 37 E3 AC 16 09 F1 36 E4 61 15