wg-multicast - Re: Multicast and cef on cisco?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Multicast and cef on cisco?

  • From: Bill Nickless <>
  • To: "S.Grant" <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: Re: Multicast and cef on cisco?
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 10:33:19 -0500

Just yesterday I turned off CEF on a Catalyst 6509 with a MSFC running IOS (tm) MSFC Software (C6MSFC-IS-M), Version 12.1(1)E. I am tunneling multicast by way of GRE offsite. Unicast traffic was failing to be forwarded through the tunnel, being dropped on the floor. Turning of CEF fixed the problem instantly.

Last week we discovered a bug with CEF on a Catalyst 8540. We had two two OSPF default routes with different metrics (primary and backup border routers). When anything changed in OSPF, the 8540 would stop forwarding packets and start generating ICMP Host Unreachables. This took about 5 seconds each time a link state changed on campus. The bad news is that you can't turn off CEF on an 8540. Making the OSPF default routes have the same metric, and carefully adjusting OSPF costs to get things to flow the right way, solved that problem.