wg-multicast - Re: Multicast How-to

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Multicast How-to

  • From: Matthew Davy <>
  • To: "S.Grant" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Multicast How-to
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 18:39:46 +0000

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 01:42:13PM -0400, S.Grant wrote:
> I've written a multicast cookbook of sorts. My goal was "generic", so there
> are no configuration examples.
>
> Any and all comments, suggestions, and constructive criticisms are welcome.

I've included some below...

> I'm currently working on a repository of Cisco configuration files
> (examples). If anyone has any configs from other platforms, I'd love to see
> them.

Unfortunately I don't, but if you know of someone who'd be willing to give me
a Juniper, I'd be glad to put it to use and send you the configs :-)

- Matt

>7.2.2 Dynamic RP configuration
>
>Some platforms support dynamic RP configuration (sometimes call "auto-rp").
>This is preferred over static configuration, as dynamic is generally always
>preferred over reconfiguring routers when there's a change on the network.
>Unlike static RP configuration, if auto-rp is to be deployed, the router you
>want to be the RP must be configured to announce itself as an RP. This is
>done by sending periodic "rp-announce" packets.

Perhaps you should also include PIM BSR as a Dynamic RP configuration method.

See sections 2.6 and 3.6 of RFC-2117 for details. The Cisco FTPENG page has
a good explanation of how to configure this on a Cisco router.

>5.1 Filtering SA announcements
>
>224.0.2.2
>224.0.1.3
>224.0.1.24
>224.0.1.22
>224.0.1.2
>224.0.1.35
>224.0.1.60
>224.0.1.39
>224.0.1.40
>239.0.0.0/8
>127.0.0.0/8
>172.16.0.0/20
>192.168.0.0/16

It might be good to specify which of these are source filters and which are
destination (group) filters.

>1.3 Test platform
>
>It is best to have a machine with multicast client tools installed which can
>be moved (physically or virtually) to the network you are enabling multicast
>on. Even though there are ways to determine to if the router is "doing the
>right thing", and some multicast monitoring tools are available, the
>ultimate
>test is a host being able to participate in a multicast session. To create
>such
>a test platform, check out the client tools on
>http://www.ncne.org/faq/getting_started.htm.

The http://www.ncne.org/faq/getting_started.htm link doesn't work and most of
the links on the http://www.ncne.nlanr.net/faq/mcast_eng_faq.html#42 are also
out of date.

>7.1 Internal router running MBGP and MSDP
>
>Generally, it is not good practice to have interior routers running exterior
>routing protocols. This is decision should be made only after careful
>consideration.

I don't think this is entirely correct. Perhaps it would be stated better
as, "In a campus environment, it is generally not good practice to deploy MBGP
and MSDP on interior routers. This decision should be made only after
careful
consideration." Within a backbone environment, it's not only a good
practice,
but a necessary one.