wg-multicast - Re: Netaid and Multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Netaid and Multicast

  • From: David Meyer <>
  • To: (Mark Fullmer)
  • Cc: , , , , , , ,
  • Subject: Re: Netaid and Multicast
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 19:14:04 -0700 (PDT)

Mark,

BTW, I monitored the Abilene backbone (and many others)
during the event and I can report that multicast on Abilene
was rock solid. I can say a few additional things about what
we learned:

(i). Netaid multicast went really, really well.

(ii). 0% loss inside the UO campus:

cisco7-gw#sh ip mpacket 128.223.156.23 224.2.249.91 quality
Calculating RTP data quality for 224.2.249.91
Session: NetAid FrontStage (MPEG1)
Source: 128.223.156.23 (uovid-00.uoregon.edu), Port: 52972
Packets received: 302, lost: 0, loss percentage: 0%
Packets misordered: 0, average loss gap: 0
cisco7-gw#

This was verified in the client at various sites.
BTW, routers in path at UO were running 12.0(6.5).S1,
as were the OGIG routers.

(iii). Successful sites had *no* additional
configuration or other problems. i.e., multicast
just works in the standard model. cf. Berkely, IU,
NASA, and many others. 30 frames/sec, little or
no loss.

(iv). Sites with problems were excusively related to
ATM (possibly in conjuction with down-rev code).

o p2mp at MCNC caused auto-rp problem. Switching
p2p solved that.

o LANE at GATech

I really didn't get time to fully understand what
was happening at GATECH.

(v). L2 Switching

o HP 4000s at UO have broken IGMP snooping, which
had to be turned off (maybe expect router to
join the group).

o CGMP configuration (NASA)

Thanks again for your input. I'll also plug the UO guys here,
Hans, Joel, and Lucy. They did an awesome job of getting the
content up.

See you in Seattle.

Dave

According to Mark Fullmer: