wg-multicast - additional DC topics for multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

additional DC topics for multicast

  • From: (Kevin C. Almeroth)
  • To:
  • Subject: additional DC topics for multicast
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 16:30:43 -0700 (PDT)

One topic that I'd like to bring up for discussion in DC is how
we take the next step from identifying best common practices for
backbone multicast deployment to deployment in gigapops and on
campuses.

There is a scalability problem here in terms of giving advice
for each member institution because each MI is likely to have
different requirements/infrastructure/etc. The WG doesn't have
the people power to provide advice to each and every MI.

My thinking is that the WG should attack this problem from three
angles. First, the WG should develop some guiding deployment
suggestions and work with NLANR and the Abilene NOC to pool multicast
expertise to help MIs. This has already been suggested and is taking
place informally but formalizing the channels would be helpful to the
MIs. Second, the WG should encourage vendors to help the MIs. This
is really a rather obvious point, but I think the WG needs to increase
interaction/assistance between vendors and MIs. And third, Univ of
Oregon is doing a fair amount of work in multicast interoperability.
This will be of tremendous value to the I2 community, especially at
the MI level (Greg Shepperd will be presenting status on the work
of the interoperability effort).

I'd like to discuss this topic in DC so if you have an opinion,
don't forget to bring it.

-Kevin

  • additional DC topics for multicast, Kevin C. Almeroth, 04/26/1999