wg-multicast - Re: Status and Deployment Plans Doc

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Status and Deployment Plans Doc

  • From: David Meyer <>
  • To: (Kevin C. Almeroth)
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Status and Deployment Plans Doc
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 18:21:29 -0800 (PST)

Kevin,

> On the WWW page: http://www.internet2.edu/html/multicast.html/
>
> There is now a document on the Status and Plans for Multicast Deployment
> in Internet2.

A few comments:

o Connect to commodity Internet via MIXs: There are currently 5
Multicast Inter-eXchange (MIXs). Connecting to the commodity
Internet via these access points will offer the best logical
connectivity. Currently, we are investigating connectivity
at the NASA Ames MIX.

Does this mean that Abilene will transit multicast traffic
from the commodity Internet (in much the same way that the vBNS
does now), i.e., provide multicast transit for non-approved
sources and receivers? If so, this has some design and policy
implications.

o Protocol Independent Multicast -- Spares Mode (PIM-SM):
PIM-SM ...

Implication: Receiver only DM regions with non-RTCP clients
(e.g. Netshow, Real) are broken.

o Abilene/vBNS Interconnect: Deployment and testing of
MBGP/PIM-SM/MSDP in the....

You talk about the DVMRP MBONE. I *highly* advise you to do
what all the providers are doing and get it from AS10888. It's
a proven and simple solution.

o While the Abilene backbone consists of single-vendor
routers, we still have the goal of being interoperable.

Data point: Cisco interoperates with the Juniper MBGP/PIM-SM
implementation.

Dave