vprcp - [vprcp] Input Needed on "Enhanced Infrastructure Support for Data Intensive Sciences" White Paper

Subject: VPRCP

[vprcp] Input Needed on "Enhanced Infrastructure Support for Data Intensive Sciences" White Paper

  • From: Stephen Wolff <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: [vprcp] Input Needed on "Enhanced Infrastructure Support for Data Intensive Sciences" White Paper
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:05:25 -0500

Colleagues,

I realize that most of you are not attending this winter's Joint Techs in Baton Rouge next week, but I wanted to alert you about the plans for Tuesday, January 24 so that you, or a member of your staff, could participate via netcast (http://events.internet2.edu/2012/jt-loni/agenda.cfm?go=netcast) to keep you involved. Jim Bottum, Clemson's CIO, is moderating an entire day devoted to the topic Enhancing Infrastructure Support for Data Intensive Science. creating a research-friendly campus network-to-backbone connection has been a high priority for Clemson so having Jim lead this discussion is particularly fortunate for the community. From 8:30 am to 5 pm CT, Jim will coordinate a number of talks that may be of interest to you or folks on your campus:

A keynote speech from Bill St. Arnaud of Green IT (formerly of CANARIE) from 8:45-9:30 am
Talks from researchers and those supporting climatology, genomics, and the XSEDE projects between 9:30-11 am
Viewpoints from Mike Ackerman (NIH), Kevin Thompson (NSF), and Rich Carlson (DoE) on how their agencies would like to see infrastructure managed to support funded projects from 11-12
Discussion on bootstrapping institutional capabilities, including input from Gwen Jacobs (UHI), Ruth Marinshaw (UNC), and Gary Jung (LBL) from 1-2 pm
Descriptions of successful implementations on both National Laboratory and University campuses are scheduled from 2-4:30 pm.

Jim will sum up what he heard from the community at 4:30 pm and call for audience input. Following this meeting, Jim will lead a group in developing a white paper on the subject as a method for reaching community consensus. I'm contacting you because Jim would like as much CIO-level input as possible in the process. To that end, he's requested an AdobeConnect channel be set up so that you or your staff could participate and ask questions or provide comments and feedback to speakers. This can be accessed (as a guest if you do not have login credentials) at:

A member of my staff will monitor the channel to ensure that your questions and comments are shared with the audience and the speakers.

I very much hope you can participate in this discussion; your input would be quite valuable to the process.

Thank you,

-steve

Steve Wolff
Interim VP and CTO

  • [vprcp] Input Needed on "Enhanced Infrastructure Support for Data Intensive Sciences" White Paper, Stephen Wolff, 01/19/2012