usucansponsor - a quintessential collaboration

Subject: usucansponsor

a quintessential collaboration

  • From: James Werle <>
  • To: "" <>, "" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: a quintessential collaboration
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 23:30:32 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:0

Last night, with very little fanfare or hype, a triumph occurred that validates much of what our Community Anchor Program stands for and strives to achieve.  A small group of very talented high school student musicians, located at a Paradise Valley School District facility in northeast Phoenix, performed in real time with the Arizona State University Wind Ensemble in the iconic Gammage auditorium, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.  Perhaps the photo below speaks for itself.

I highly recommend taking a few minutes to watch the performance here - https://www.facebook.com/ClassicalArizonaPBS/videos/1686172111471410/ . Tune the video dial to 02:25 and watch through about 10:30.  Over the coming weeks we will work with our friends in Arizona to develop a “case study” we can all use to help demonstrate to our various local CAI stakeholders one example of the diverse value our r&e networking community brings to the enterprise of education and artistic _expression_ at both the local community and national level.

The performance was enabled by LoLa, the performing arts software developed by the international R&E networking community and delivered over the Sun Corridor network, the R&E network serving Arizona.  For me, this event represents advanced networking, advanced applications, and cross-sector collaboration at its absolute best (ex. Paradise Valley students/staff helped bring ASU’s first LoLa node online!)  All three elements converged last night to enable an incredibly impactful educational opportunity that would not have been possible without all of us bringing forth our diverse strengths and working together as a community.

Congratulations to Michael Sherman from Sun Corridor, Jeff Billings from Paradise Valley, and Jason Caslor, Associate Director of Bands and Orchestras at Arizona State University and everyone else who contributed over the last few months to making last night a great success.  Jeff and Jason will be presenting on this event during the teaching and learning SIG on Tuesday May 8th at the Internet2 Global Summit in San Diego.

Best Regards,

James

James Werle

Executive Director