usucansponsor - RE: recently updated FCC national broadband map

Subject: usucansponsor

RE: recently updated FCC national broadband map

  • From: Tim Lance <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Cc: James Werle <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: recently updated FCC national broadband map
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 14:31:58 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Dear Mark,

The bias question isn’t a criticism but just a question.  I think using crowd sourcing is brilliant, and the question becomes what to do with the information.  If you used as a definition of broadband “Directly peers with AWS at 100G” you’d get a hit from us, but that information is useless.  I like the categories you have and would be interested to know percentage of population making use of services that are available.

Whatever those percentages are, improving them is really hard. A lot of that depends on poverty.  But policies can get in the way.  New York State really blew implementation of Common Core.  In principle I saw it as an opportunity for a reset and a chance to equip students with higher skills in reading, writing, and math.   But it became too politicized and we missed that opportunity.  The kids, and often their parents, with lower skills will not make rich use of broadband even if it is available.

I wish I knew an answer.  When I was a math department chair I got involved with the schools and believe we made a difference, but only for a relatively small population without a clear path to scaling up.  Like your project there was no sustainability, as my only resource was the sweat equity of a dedicated few.

Regards,

Tim