transport - [transport] Fwd: 2nd try: draft notes from our phonecall

Subject: Transport protocols and bulk file transfer

[transport] Fwd: 2nd try: draft notes from our phonecall

  • From: Steven Senger <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [transport] Fwd: 2nd try: draft notes from our phonecall
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:38:20 -0600

Attached are some notes that Larry Dunn took when he and I talked on the phone a few weeks ago about the transport needs of my app.

- steve

041221 conf call w/ steve, stas; 800-541-1710 #0119319
> Notes from conversation to learn more about Steve's
app. an data requirements, etc.
> stas couldn't make it
> on buffering...
> he's trying to see if there's a way to squeeze in a couple
things for his apps (visible human segmentation- cf. URL at bottom);
> maybe making bad implementation guesses...
> 1 app: behavior:
> fixed buffer space (2 seconds of traffic); the semi-reliable
would be on when to block the "send"
> as long as transport_rate > date_gen_rate, nothing backs up
on the server
> he sees loss-blips sometimes, pkts lost; currently: tries to
resend them, but depending on how long blip lasts, backs up
buffer
> if so, the instead of blocking, replace oldest data w/ new
data (i.e. the oldest 2 seconds of traffic)
> it's a visualization tool for exploring volumetric data;
client sends position, server streams out pixel update
> typ. data rates: varies dep. on mode user operates in- some
small, some up to 25-30mbps per stream, server should support
4-5 streams
> so he'd like a packet/message layer, to preserve message
boundaries
> stas-(previous chat): no reason to ever block on send, make buffer
as large as you need, so never loss; (that's bad - it could get
arbitrarily far behind you)
> he could add rate-adaptive hooks at some point (like dunn suggestion);
> it's something he wrote in 1999 for transport- had multiproc
at nasa-ames; connectivity (then he was wisc-net to NREN);
TCP wouldn't work for him at all
> he did make it run w/ mcast; uses UDP now, can do mcast.
> at the time, UDT didn't exist, else he'd have tried that.
> so if there's a way to squeeze that in to the new protocol,
that'd suit him; if not, fine- he does have an overall
congestion-control learning goal.
> timed reliability of SCTP is almost the same, but they
assume an a priori knowledge of how long it's OK to stay in
queue.
> app is Anatomical visualization (visible human)
> now part of NGI project he collaborates on w/ stanford;
> visu.uwlax.edu/ ngi, anatomy, immersive segmentation link;
full link information: http://visu.uwlax.edu/NGI/ImmSeg.html
off @ 1:51p

<end cut/paste>

  • [transport] Fwd: 2nd try: draft notes from our phonecall, Steven Senger, 02/11/2005