thrulay-users - Re: VLAN support

Subject: Discussion list for thrulay, a network testing tool

Re: VLAN support

  • From:
  • To: Richard Carlson <>
  • Cc: , ,
  • Subject: Re: VLAN support
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:54:06 +0800

Hi Richard,

        I began testing this morning, and the VLAN feature works as expected (the vconfig command does raise a warning ('could not open /proc/net/vlan/config') when configuring the first VLAN sub-interface, but it does not seem to affect the operation of the VLANs). During testing I noticed a slight decrease in throughput using Thrulay, typically around 1-2 Mbit/s, when running through a VLAN sub-interface as opposed to using the 'normal' non-VLAN interface (both active on the same physical interface, N.B. the vconfig command will only create a VLAN sub-interface on an interface that is up).
I also tested the mapping of the DSCP bits (set using the -D option of Thrulay) into the VLAN QOS bits using the 'vconfig set_egress_map' and 'vconfig set_ingress_map' commands, and verified that they were being set correctly using Wireshark (through a monitor port on a switch). However the Thrulayd daemon does not appear to map DSCP bits received from a client, into frames transmitted back to the client, which obviously prevents me from performing a throughput test using the same QOS level in both directions. Hopefully the Thrulay developers may be able to identify the cause of this.

        Many thanks for building VLAN support into NPT, I'm sure that many people will find it useful.

Derek.

Richard Carlson <>

13/08/2008 02:57 AM

cc
Subject
Re: VLAN support

Hi Derek;

Any work on if I got the vlan support installed?  I'm update the web page with this new system and need to sent out an email to the ndt-announce list.  I'm wondering if I should mentioning that vlan support is now included.

Regards;
Rich