thrulay-users - thrulay 0.9 patch: change size of returned blocks

Subject: Discussion list for thrulay, a network testing tool

thrulay 0.9 patch: change size of returned blocks

  • From: Csaba Kiraly <>
  • To:
  • Subject: thrulay 0.9 patch: change size of returned blocks
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 01:27:04 +0100

Hi,

First of all, thanks for thrulay, the only tool I've found that measures
application level RTT, i.e. something useful when TCP level proxying is
part of the system!

I've made a small patch that changes the size of the data block returned
from the server to the client. The option was already there in the code
as a compile time constant, it becomes a configurable parameter after
you apply the patch. Why is it useful:
- better control over what do you measure
- you can regulate the ratio of client->server and server->client traffic

How it was before:
-l parameter defines the block size sent from the client to the server.
Default is 64 Kilobytes. It is enough to define it in the client.
- after a block is received by the server, the first 16 bytes (the
timestamp) is returned to the client.

After the patch:
-l works as before
-r defines the size of the return block (I think it works only up to the
amount of -l, in which case all the traffic is looped back to the
client). Currently, -r should be specified at both sides, both when
starting the client and when starting the server.

Hope someone finds it useful
Csaba