sip.edu - Skype Supernodes - How Much Traffic Do they Really Generate?

Subject: SIP in higher education

Skype Supernodes - How Much Traffic Do they Really Generate?

  • From: Ben Teitelbaum <>
  • To: "SIP.edu" <>, VoIP Working Group <>
  • Subject: Skype Supernodes - How Much Traffic Do they Really Generate?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:34:13 -0400

I'm unclear on how much traffic a typical Skype supernode actually
generates. The numbers I've been able to find are all over the map.
For example, [1] finds the median bandwidth utilization per supernode
to be only 205 bps (not Kbps), while [2] claims:

"Over the period of 20 days, we observed a total of 341
Skype-relayed bursts of packets, corresponding to a total of
1.11Gbytes of data.'

which is an average of about 5 Kbps (or 25x what [1] found). A study
from JANET [3] includes a plot that shows sustained traffic in excess
of 30 Kbps (6x what [2] found and 150x what [1] found!).

Does anyone have any measurements or rules-of-thumb for average or
peak loads generated by a Skype supernode?

Cheers,

-- ben

1. An Experimental Study of the Skype Peer-to-Peer VoIP System,
S. Guha, N. Daswani, R. Jain, IPTPS 2006.
http://iptps06.cs.ucsb.edu/
http://saikat.guha.cc.nyud.net:8090/pub/iptps06-skype/

2. "Characterizing and detecting relayed traffic: A case study using
Skype", Kyoungwon Suh, Daniel R. Figueiredo, Jim Kurose, Don
Towsley.
ftp://gaia.cs.umass.edu/pub/Suh05_relay.pdf

3. "Skype and JANET",
http://www.ja.net/development/voip/skype&janet.pdf

--
Ben Teitelbaum http://people.internet2.edu/~ben/

  • Skype Supernodes - How Much Traffic Do they Really Generate?, Ben Teitelbaum, 07/26/2006