sip.edu - Re: [sip.edu] Using E.164 numbers and other comments

Subject: SIP in higher education

Re: [sip.edu] Using E.164 numbers and other comments

  • From: Ben Teitelbaum <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [sip.edu] Using E.164 numbers and other comments
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 20:59:04 -0400

Steven,

Thanks for your comments.

I am not a lawyer, but my perception is that when communications
looks, feels, and sounds like telephony, regulators are inclined to
regulated it as traditional telephony. If we are building a private
network to enable collaboration among researchers and educators (as we
are), using globally-significant E.164 addresses sends the wrong
message. Also, if we are interested in campus/enterprise-enabled
communications (as I am), it sends the wrong message.

Your point about fail-over is absolutely right. During the transition
from TDM voice to VoIP, there is a huge opportunity to use both to
achieve a high-level of availability---and for that, we would need to
use E.164.

-- ben

"Bauer, Steven J."
<>