sip.edu - SIP.edu at sea

Subject: SIP in higher education

SIP.edu at sea

  • From: Art Gaylord <>
  • To:
  • Subject: SIP.edu at sea
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 17:08:11 -0500

Hi,

I thought it might be of interest to some of you that we now have a SIP enabled phone on the one of our ships and have successfully made calls to and from it. The R/V Atlantis is currently leaving Easter Island and heading to Tahiti. It is connected to the Internet via an (almost) always on satellite connection. There is a phone attached to a Sipura 3000 device on the ship which has been configured to connect to our Asterisk server at WHOI. So now the people on the Atlantis appear as an internal WHOI phone which the same dialing access as the people here and visa versa. At the moment, we are still in a testing and use policy creation mode so the number is not published at this time.

Next steps will be to connect the Sipura to the onboard PBX and hopefully to try different SIP hardphones and softphones. Prior to this phones calls to/from the ships cost around $7-9/minute so were severely limited. Of course, there is still about a 750 msec. delay (ping time) to contend with.

By the way, we are by no means the first to do this and I only mention it because it is cool within the context of the SIP.edu community. Since an amazingly high percentage of the institutions who are currently part of SIP.edu also have oceanographic connections, it seems there is some potential for interesting experiments and experiences.

Art

--
Arthur S. Gaylord
Director, Computer and Information Services

508-289-3329

  • SIP.edu at sea, Art Gaylord, 02/01/2005