shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] Guidance for logging.

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] Guidance for logging.

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] Guidance for logging.
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 09:27:35 -0400

I tried to come up with some common definitions for each of these and
failed. About the only thing I managed to get was:
- ERROR is for things that represent an unrecoverable problem that
going to cause the operation to fail
- WARN is for things that (might) represent a problem but that will
allow the request to keep chugging along

I also try to use INFO, sparingly, for things that really are
informative to the deployer (remember this is our default logging
level).

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 09:23, Rod Widdowson
> Here's another question mostly for the developers.
>
> What is the rule of thumb that people use for emitting
> errors/warn/info/debug/trace at the different levels?   As I am porting over
> the attribute definitions the need for some new or different errors arises.
>
> Looking at the existing code a lot of this is arbitrary and changes between
> each definition and it would be nice to be project wide
> consistent about what justifies what when...

Chad La Joie
www.itumi.biz
trusted identities, delivered