shibboleth-dev - [Shib-Dev] Handling account initiation and expired passwords

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

[Shib-Dev] Handling account initiation and expired passwords

  • From: Christopher Bongaarts <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [Shib-Dev] Handling account initiation and expired passwords
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:42:08 -0500

Here's a pair of use cases:

(1) A user creates a "guest" account using a web form where they specify an email address (and other demographic data) and set up a new password in our system. We want the user to be able to immediately access SPs (at least the ones that allow guest access) without having to reenter their password. In other words, the act of account creation should be considered a valid "authentication".

(2) We have a one year expiration policy on our standard passwords. When a user's password expires, they enter a grace period where they can only authenticate to the password changing application. Once they change their password, their authentication should revert to the standard level so they can access all SPs again. Like in case 1, they should not have to reenter their new password - the act of changing the password should be considered a valid authentication action (in this case, upgrading from password-change-only authentication to full authentication).

In both cases there is a need to communicate from a process outside the IdP to the IdP that the user is authenticated (or "differently" authenticated). Is there a mechanism in the IdP that could be used to implement this?

I can think of two general strategies for implementing this. The first is to use the same sort of mechanism we currently use with our cookie-based web SSO: the account creation and password change applications are both under our control, so we have them explicitly set the user's authentication cookie when they complete. Since we are planning to have our Shib IdP interoperate with our SSO cookie, we could continue to use that as the mechanism for communicating the authentication actions to the IdP.

A second strategy would be to expose a web service (a RESTful servlet on the IdP perhaps) that allows trusted applications to mess around with the IdP session objects. I'm a little fuzzy on how the session stuff works under the hood, so I don't know if this is feasible. The main advantage of this over the previous strategy is that it does not require that the account creation and password change applications to be able to set a cookie that the IdP can read. It also is more amenable to adding additional "action is required on a particular SP before general login is permitted" scenarios down the road.

Are these reasonable solutions? Should I be looking at this another way?

%% Christopher A. Bongaarts %%

%%
%% OIT - Identity Management %% http://umn.edu/~cab %%
%% University of Minnesota %% +1 (612) 625-1809 %%

  • [Shib-Dev] Handling account initiation and expired passwords, Christopher Bongaarts, 03/23/2011