shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] [IdPv3] Security Config and Options

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] [IdPv3] Security Config and Options

  • From: Lukas Haemmerle <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] [IdPv3] Security Config and Options
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 15:47:43 +0200

On 06.08.10 15:08, Chad La Joie wrote:
> I think it's pretty unlikely that if the SP's private key is compromised
> that other bad things haven't happened as well, things the ACS check
> would in no way help with.

I agree for the case where the key was stolen from the host running the
SP because for this case the attacker most likely got (root) access to
the host itself.

However, I was more thinking of the (also very likely) case where just
the key was compromised, without the attacker having access to the host
itself. E.g. because people sent the private key via email somewhere
(for example to this mailing list as it has happened before ;-) ) and
somebody got access to this email or because the private key was
backuped somewhere and somebody got access to this backup, etc.

> But either way, it'll just be an option that
> can be turned on or off.

So, do you think will it be enabled in the default config?

--
SWITCH
Serving Swiss Universities