shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] Mixing up principal identities

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] Mixing up principal identities

  • From: Paul Hethmon <>
  • To: Shibboleth Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] Mixing up principal identities
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 08:47:42 -0400

On 4/1/10 6:14 AM, "Chad La Joie "

> Now, Subject treats Principals as a set (i.e. unordered, no duplicates,
> no null). So when getPrincpalName is called, on the session, the first
> of an unordered collection is returned. So, I'm guessing, if you look
> in to the Subject you'll see two UsernamePrincipals, one saying 'user1'
> and one saying 'user2'. Which is exactly what you told the IdP was
> supposed to happen.

And that's what I figured out a few minutes later.

What I'd like to understand is why that behavior?

In my case, because of bad user habits, its not doing the right thing and
I've got to change it in some way. A quick test shows that I can null out
the IdP session object in the http request and get what I need. That just
leaves lingering doubts on whether that's the right way.

thanks,

Paul