shibboleth-dev - Does resolvertest always need IDPSSODescriptor of an IdP?

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Does resolvertest always need IDPSSODescriptor of an IdP?

  • From: Lukas Haemmerle <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Does resolvertest always need IDPSSODescriptor of an IdP?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:26:53 +0100

I'm playing around with resolvertest again (for VO stuff) and doing so I
noticed that if you want to query an entity that has only an
AttributeAuthorityDescriptor but no IDPSSODescriptor, resolvertest will
complain:
2010-01-13 16:09:22 WARN Shibboleth.AttributeResolver.Query : can't
attempt attribute query, either no NameID or no metadata to use

Since I'm pretty sure that there is a NameID given in the command
(request works with other IdPs) the issue seems to be related to this
components metadata.

Adding an IDPSSODescriptor and then running the same command (
resolvertest -n _12345678 -i https://idp.entityid/idp/shibboleth
-saml2 -f urn:oid:some-nameidformat) then solves the issue and
resolvertest works as expected.

However, I would have assumed that resolvertest just queries the
attribute authority and therefore would need only the
AttributeAuthorityDescriptor in an EntityDescriptor. I'm I wrong here?

Cheers
Lukas

--
SWITCH