shibboleth-dev - shibd stack size

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

shibd stack size

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: shibd stack size
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:56:19 -0500

We have a high volume application that's stuck using Apache 1.3 and in the
course of debugging a problem with it, we stumbled on what's perhaps well
known to many, that the default thread stack size on Linux is generally 10M.

With that kind of default, shibd runs out of VM address space somewhere in
the 300 thread range and stops accepting new requests.

Needless to say, it doesn't need a 10M stack, and it never occurred to me
that the default would be so ridiculous. It definitely works with 1M and
probably works with something as low as 64K in most cases, if not less.

Unless there's a concern, I plan to add ulimit commands to the shibd init
scripts to reduce the stack size.

-- Scott

  • shibd stack size, Scott Cantor, 01/11/2010