shibboleth-dev - checking for loginContext = null in error.jsp

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

checking for loginContext = null in error.jsp

  • From: Peter Schober <>
  • To:
  • Subject: checking for loginContext = null in error.jsp
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 17:39:18 +0100

Chad mentioned in
https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/SIDP-328 :
"Bookmarking of the login page will not be supported. If a custom error
message needs to be displayed the deployer should edit the error JSP
page to look for this case (when the login context is null) and
display an appropriate error message."

Now shibboleth/idp/authn/AuthenticationEngine.java does just this,
logs it and finally forwards to the error page:

forwardRequest("/error.jsp", httpRequest, httpResponse);

However I failed to get checking for null loginContext to work based
on the example code in th distributed login.jsp or looking at
AuthenticationEngine.java. Would anyone care to share this -- or
should I reopen that issue and request to include this code in the
distributed error.jsp?
-peter