shibboleth-dev - Fail to load or disable log?

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Fail to load or disable log?

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Fail to load or disable log?
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 13:09:47 -0400

Subjective question...

I found the bug in the logging library that's crashing on Windows if the IIS
filter can't write to the native log file. The simplest fix is to get the
appender to throw an exception, which fails gracefully, but will red flag
the filter. You actually get a Windows Log event saying it failed to open
the log file, so it's not exactly ambiguous, but I suspect the result will
be continued constant questions about why the filter's not loading.

Alternatively, I can do more work but probably get it to disable that
appender, and just silently not log anything (essentially what happens on
Unix).

I'm thinking that's better for my sanity in the long run, and I don't know
that the native log is valuable enough to make it a critical failure.

Thoughts?