shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] monitoring shibd 1.3

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] monitoring shibd 1.3

  • From: Peter Schober <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] monitoring shibd 1.3
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 13:12:41 +0200

*

<>
[2009-07-31 11:57]:
> I read in all forum , that monitoring shibd 1.3 is not easy.

This is a question for the -users list, even if the words "source code"
are part of your email. And whatever this "forum" (or these fora) might be.

> If I'd like use Nagios , I could see only if the daemon is alive or not.
> Or sometimes the daemon is active but not really working.
> I could create or use program to see shibd's logs but this seems not very
> effective.
> Is there already a way to communicate directly with the demon (by
> Http or/and ask for Status).

Well, the Shib 2.x SP (which you should be using anyway) has a few
additional handlers, some find the Status handler useful for this.
Others just do a real test by accessing a resource protected by the SP
(i.e. testing complete WebSSO cycles).

> Possibly modify the source code (a little) to do this ?

Certainly not with Shib 1.3.
-peter

  • monitoring shibd 1.3, davidfdm2002, 07/31/2009
    • Re: [Shib-Dev] monitoring shibd 1.3, Peter Schober, 07/31/2009