shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] Spring supports OAuth

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] Spring supports OAuth

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] Spring supports OAuth
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:54:43 -0500

> Tom Scavo wrote:
>> Spring supports OAuth
>>
>> http://spring-security-oauth.codehaus.org/index.html
>>
>> so that does that mean Shibboleth may one day support OAuth (whatever
>> that means) as well?

If you can come up with any context in which Shibboleth and OAuth overlap,
I'd be happy to hear it. I haven't come up with anything. (They compose just
fine, I'm speaking more about why there's anything Shibboleth should do.)

OAuth operates fundamentally on the premise of a service issuing access
tokens to itself. There's no obvious role for an IdP to play, and if you try
and inject one, you end up with something that looks an awful lot like SAML
to me.