shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] SP 2.1 dynamic Metadata Provider with cacheDuration setting

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] SP 2.1 dynamic Metadata Provider with cacheDuration setting

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] SP 2.1 dynamic Metadata Provider with cacheDuration setting
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:25:59 -0500

> I think you refer to this one:
> https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/CPPXT-18

Yeah.

> I'm using xmltooling version 1.1, where the bug has been fixed.

Assuming I actually fixed it.

> There's no error logged when loading the metadata.
> 2008-11-17 10:36:44 INFO OpenSAML.MetadataProvider.XML [2]: reloading
> remote resource...

Hmm, you said "Dynamic", not "XML". I assumed you meant the other plugin, so
that has to be taken into account. Dynamic metadata does not mean "download
a batch", it means resolving an entityID into one piece of metadata.

> If I remove the cacheDuration from the metadata, everything is fine.

There are huge differences between versions where cacheDuration is
concerned, and I realize it's not well documented, which is why I don't
advise using it. Use validUntil for standard batch approaches if you want
consistent behavior.

I'll look into what 2.1 is doing and see what my documentation says.