shibboleth-dev - Re: [Shib-Dev] Infocard directions

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: [Shib-Dev] Infocard directions

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [Shib-Dev] Infocard directions
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 08:06:29 +0200

wrote:
-- the CS model expects a user to have a few cards, from different issuers. We're thinking about a model where a user would have a few cards from the same issuer (the different cards would release different attributes).

If you're thinking along those lines I would suggest changing directions right now. The usability of a model like that would be horrendous. Why would we even need it? We have a mechanism that we already use for controlling the release of attributes that is independent of the credential that is used to authenticate, the attribute filter policies.

-- in a standard Shib model, ARPs within the IdP control attribute release; they are typically managed by a site. In the CS model, the user trusts the RP, so the IdP is also supposed to trust the RP, and do what the user instructs it to do.

Again, we have this today. I feel like you are, again, confusing policy based filtering with user consent. Every demo I've seen of CS has the user consenting to the release of some set of data. The RP can request particular attributes just like a SAML 2 SP can but that's orthogonal to consent. Conflating these issues is not going to help anyone.

-- Shib ARPs were designed to allow the filtering of multi-valued attributes. CS doesn't provide any such filtering. A card might say "release entitlement" -- does that mean we release every value?

Again, there is no difference between what we have now and what CS is doing. SAML SPs can already request specific attributes, that is, an SP can already say "give me entitlement". I don't know why a CS RP saying the same thing would cause the IdP to behave any differently. Policy-based filtering (or pretty much any other policy evaluated by the IdP) is out of scope for the CS spec just as it's out of scope for the SAML spec.

There was a strong feeling that the ARP engine should somehow be involved in the attribute release process.

Umm... the AFP engine IS the attribute release process. That's not going to change.

We decided to provide a site with a set of templates to support the set of cards they decide to issue.

Q -- will Spring allow the use of two different ARP engine + config's? One for standard Shib, and one for CS (eg have different default release policies for these two situations?)

It would, and you could do it today, but this is completely unnecessary.

Q -- does the ARP engine know the protocol that's being used (eg if SAML, release nothing; if CS, allow user to control)

Yes.

4) RP Identity -- Because CS does not have a concept like entitIDs, our sense was that we need to extend the metadata interface, to allow looking up by endpoint (which is what CS does provide)

Well I haven't seen any examples of CS metadata yet so I have no idea if its metadata will even make sense to access through the current interfaces. I suspect its probably different enough to make it a pain. If, however, it's not or we choose to create a SAML metadata extension for CS protocol support I don't think this will be an issue. I already have to go in an change how metadata is being handled in order to support SP issued artifacts.

--
SWITCH
Serving Swiss Universities