shibboleth-dev - Fwd: Google apps adding extra security

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Fwd: Google apps adding extra security

  • From: Nate Klingenstein <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Fwd: Google apps adding extra security
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 14:33:05 +0000

Everyone,

The Google Apps SSO implementation was failing to check for the proper recipient of an assertion.

Shibboleth already sends (and, on the SP side, checks) this information, so if you use Shibboleth with Google Apps you shouldn't need to modify anything.

This security update is relayed over from the simpleSAMLphp lists, so hat tip to them.
Nate.

Begin forwarded message:

Nothing is more important to us than the security of your users'

data.  We are emailing you because we have detected that your Google

Apps single sign-on (SSO) implementation may be vulnerable to a

theoretical security hole.  We would like to emphasize that we have

not received any reports of this vulnerability being exploited.

In order to improve the security of Google Apps SSO, we have added a

requirement on the data your sign-in application (identity provider)

sends.  You must update your sign-in application by the end of August

2008.  The new requirement is described here:

http://code.google.com/apis/apps/faq.html#recipient

If your sign-in application is derived from our sample code, please

refer to the latest version of the sample code for the changes you'll

need to make to your own code.  The updates to the sample code are

also described in the link above.

If your sign-in application was not derived from our sample code, e.g.

is a third-party identity provider software, please forward this

information to the developers of the identity provider software.

Important Notes:

 - We will begin enforcing this new requirement on your sign-in

application by the end of August 2008.

 - In the meantime, we will continue to accept the current responses

from your sign-in application so that your users can continue to sign

in to Google Apps.

 - If you are unable to update your sign-in application by the end of

August 2008, please email .

 - If you are about to deploy Google Apps SSO for new domains, you

will need to ensure this new requirement is met for those domains

prior to deployment.

If you have any questions, please email .

Thank you for your consideration.

The Google Apps Team

  • Fwd: Google apps adding extra security, Nate Klingenstein, 07/07/2008