shibboleth-dev - RE: [Shib-Dev] SHIB Status call -- 6/23/2008) -- 12:00 pm EDT, 9 am PDT

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: [Shib-Dev] SHIB Status call -- 6/23/2008) -- 12:00 pm EDT, 9 am PDT

  • From: Peter Williams <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [Shib-Dev] SHIB Status call -- 6/23/2008) -- 12:00 pm EDT, 9 am PDT
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 17:22:49 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

If all the extensions do is make the infocard message formats bear shib
signals, have we really made any progress? The language/protocols between
IDP/SP might as well be klingon, if all it does it say the same thing as the
last extension.

Leaving issues of legitimacy aside, we know that Shib over SAML1 and SAML2
implementations conceive of a world that is exclusively "pairwise". I.e.
Proxying is an alien concept, at either IDP or SP side. We also know that
Shib over WS-Fed differs from ADFS native, in that ADFS can (optionally) rely
on a trusted directory to enforce nameid semantics. (For Shib, a nameid is
limited semantically to being just another form of an attribute.) For
cardspace, we know the big differentiator defined by the very concept its the
ability of the RP to rely on a specifcally trusted intermediary (trusted in
the Oragne Book sense) - which allows websso to embody user-centric intent
and involvement (in a way that is almost un-federation; un-SAML2).

No untoward criticism intended.