shibboleth-dev - Service Provider Attribute aliases and naming

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Service Provider Attribute aliases and naming

  • From: Lukas Haemmerle <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Service Provider Attribute aliases and naming
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:01:11 +0200

Hello all

In this bug report from last August I noticed that the Attribute Aliases couldn't be used anymore in Apache:
https://bugs.internet2.edu/jira/browse/SSPCPP-22

As far as I understand Scott's reply the Aliases were then later on added again. However, it seems they can now only be used with the Shibboleth 2 SP in the RequestMap, but not anymore in the Apache config/.htaccess file. Is this correct or is this a bug?

Any chance that it still could be added in the first case? It certainly would allow an easier upgrade from 1.3 to 2.0 for a lot of applications that are protected with Apache access rules.

Another thing we noted is that in the shibboleth2.xml.dist file there is the line:
REMOTE_USER="eppn persistent-id targeted-id"

Although I couldn't find the documentation for this REMOTE_USER attribute I assume that any attributes with following aliases(? or are these attribute IDs?) are put into the REMOTE_USER environment variable if they exist. If so, what happens if the eppn as well as the persistent-id exist as attributes?

Besides that, we were wondering about the names of these aliases/IDs? Why wasn't for example principalName, persistentID or targetetID used as aliases? This maybe would be more consistent with other attributes, where the aliases usually were written withouth - and with uppercase letters instead. Is there any specific reason for this?

Thx in advance for some enlightening answers :)

Lukas

--
SWITCH
Serving Swiss Universities