shibboleth-dev - Re: Draft Holder-of-Key Web SSO Profile #2

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Draft Holder-of-Key Web SSO Profile #2

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Draft Holder-of-Key Web SSO Profile #2
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:27:22 +0100

A comment I sent to Nate directly was

line 412: "<saml:Subject> element WITH EXACTLY ONE <saml:SubjectConfirmation>..." this is consistent with the wording in the other specs. It's also necessary because of the SAML core rule that if any confirmation is acceptable than the whole assertion is okay. So if people did include a bearer confirmation you'd lose everything you were trying to do.

My reason for that was that in SAML 2 code, lines 654 - 656, it states "If more than one subject confirmation is provided, then satisfying any one of them is sufficient to confirm the subject for the purpose of applying the assertion." So, if an IdP were to include Nate's described HoK confirmation *and* a bearer confirmation, so as to be compatible with both Nate's profile and the SAML WebSSO profile, then from a security standpoint this profile offers no additional security over bearer.

So, as Nate and I discussed, the real question comes down whether the ability to interoperate with the current profile is really necessary. My personal take is that if you're doing HoK you probably actually care that you are gaining the security benefits Nate has outlined in his profile. I find the ability for an IdP to insert something like a bearer confirmation method in and basically silently destroy this added level of security, very disturbing.

So, my suggestion is that he not aim for interoperability with the WebSSO profile and allow people to use WebSSO when it's appropriate and HoK when it's appropriate.

Nate Klingenstein wrote:
Round two!

The feedback has been very useful. I've made the following decisions and changes in addition to the ones that I've already stated over the weekend, factoring in feedback both on- and off-list.

Added the following to the background to address Diego's concerns about different TLS configuration/CA requirements and the impact on the user experience. "Deployments should minimize user interaction and avoid mutually conflicting CA requirements by coordinating certificate issuance and TLS configuration."

Changed many references from "web browser" to "[HTTP] user agent". This should generalize the profile to encompass non-web-browser HTTP user agents, but if I were to expand this to include any application-layer protocol I think it would be too hopelessly broad, leaving little to profile. SOAP over HTTP already has good protocols and profiles to choose from. I retained the name "Web Browser" and the associated identifying URN for consistency with the existing profile, but I'm not certain that's best.

Hope you guys like it,
Nate.

--
SWITCH