shibboleth-dev - Re: Draft Holder-of-Key Web SSO Profile

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Draft Holder-of-Key Web SSO Profile

  • From: "Tom Scavo" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Draft Holder-of-Key Web SSO Profile
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:45:19 -0500

On Feb 17, 2008 6:09 AM, Nate Klingenstein

> SAML can be bound to
> protocols other than HTTP, e.g. SIP, but I don't know if these
> bindings have been standardized or implemented. They're definitely
> not the primary use case.

I don't know about SIP, but I can tell you we continue to bind SAML to
X.509 certificates with good success. We are preparing to roll this
out to TeraGrid sites later this month, as a matter of fact.

> On top of vanilla HTTP, there's SOAP, for
> which there might already be options for this sort of integration of
> transit-layer security using SOAP with WS-Trust and ID-WSF.

One of the advantages of binding SAML to X.509 is that such tokens can
be used at both the transport level and the message level. If your
application supports WS-Security X.509 Token Profile, it automatically
supports X.509-bound SAML tokens.

Tom