shibboleth-dev - RE: AffiliationDescriptor

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: AffiliationDescriptor

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: AffiliationDescriptor
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 17:46:21 -0500

> Sorry if this is off-topic, but I couldn't think of another place to
> ask.

saml-dev normally.

> I can understand what an Affiliation (as described in Sec 2.5,
> SAMLMeta2) is, but what might you do with one? I'm just trying to
> understand the use-cases.

In scope, the only defined use cases involve scoping identifiers,
specifically peristent format (the SPNameQualifier can be an affiliation
instead of a single SP).

Out of scope, implementing any kind of policy that one would care to, more
or less what Shibboleth does with EntitiesDescriptor now (and probably
should do with affiliations also but nobody's asked for it).