shibboleth-dev - Re: discovery service RC1 multi language support

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: discovery service RC1 multi language support

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: discovery service RC1 multi language support
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 18:39:38 +0100

We are not going to try to localize the JSP pages.

I do agree that the DS code should have a mechanism for accepting a locale parameter, other than the one provided by the browser, for use with what metadata information is displayed for the use case that you gave.

TomazM wrote:
Chad La Joie wrote:
This was already brought up and addressed. The Discovery Service will
use the locales that your browser says it supports in order to display
the appropriate information from metadata.

We are not adding localization support to the JSPs files.
But I think that JSPs need to support localization or even that users
can change lange.

If user is on not his own computer(locale could be set for different
language) so user could wish to change the language for Discovery Service.

Those are
examples. Deployers are expected to change them to include whatever
branding and text they wish.

TomazM wrote:
On

list I post the following request:

I think WAYF it should have support for multi language, not by editing
jsp
pages for one language. Because people could be from very different
Institutions from different country's.

For version DiscoveryService-2.0-TP1 I done some customization:

version a:
It automatically detect user locale set in browser(default is eng)

realization:
I use struts ability for bundle(struts message-resource) and modify the
wayf.jsp, wayferror.jsp to use messages and add some jars, bundels,
struts configuratin, web.xml modification and index.jsp. This version
doesn't need any modification in SP(wayfURL). So if you want to have
support for different language you just create bundle for your locale
and put them in massages folder.

Now I do customization for discoveryservice-1.0-rc1-src.zip distribution
, they told me to send patch on this list.

I create a zip archive which include patch(DS.RC1.01.patch), if you wont
to apply this patch you should do the following:

1) Unpack the archive into folder where is discovery service(DS_HOME)
2) run command:

DS_HOME>>ant -buildfile patch.xml

3) build distribution package as usual:
DS_HOME>>ant

4) Deploy war in Tomcat

5) In SP configuration(shibboleth.xml) you could bind to wayfURL with
WHAY or without WHAY servlet mapping

wayfURL="http://Tomcat_SERVER/DiscoveryService/WAYF";

or

wayfURL="http://Tomcat_SERVER/DiscoveryService/";

I suggest that you apply patch on clean installation, beacuase it can
override ds.home,... Because I create patch on hole directory structure
from clean distribution of discoveryservice-1.0-rc1-src.zip.

--
SWITCH
Serving Swiss Universities