shibboleth-dev - Re: can cpp-saml be easily changed to use libxml2

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: can cpp-saml be easily changed to use libxml2

  • From: "wz qiang" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: can cpp-saml be easily changed to use libxml2
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 19:52:25 +0200

hi,
Thank you very much for you information. The other c/c++ implementation what I know is lasso. Do you know any other implementation?

Thanks
Weizhong

On 10/4/07, Scott Cantor <> wrote:
> now cpp-saml use xerces for parsing and manipulating XML. Can it be easily
> changed to use libxml2?

I doubt it. Much of the new XML work is handled by macros, but the overall
DOM management model is designed around Xerces' behavior, and last I knew
libxml2 didn't even support DOM directly.

They also differ greatly in string use. Xerces uses 16 bit Unicode and
libxml2 uses UTF-8 externally. That is pervasively exposed in this library
to avoid any unwanted conversions.

On top of that, you'd have to redo the security code with the xmlsec library
that uses libxml2.

> Because in our project, we are using libxml. And we also plan to use some
> functionality from opensaml.

I would say you need to find a SAML library that uses libxml2. XML
encapsulation would have defeated the entire reason for my library. It's a
goal, it's just not my goal.