shibboleth-dev - Re: Beta IdP: No principal attribute supports an encoding into a supported name ID format

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Beta IdP: No principal attribute supports an encoding into a supported name ID format

  • From: "Rod Widdowson" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: Re: Beta IdP: No principal attribute supports an encoding into a supported name ID format
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:22:06 +0100

Thanks for Will for putting me onto this.

After some experimentation and code walking here is my understanding. I'm hoping that Chad and others will shoot me down...

The <NameIdentifier> which precede's the <Assertion> and the <AttributeStatement> is populated from the attributes (neat idea!).

The way you tell the resolver that this is an atribute which can be put into <NameIdentifier> is by defining an AttributeEncoder of type "SAML1StringNameIdentifier" (for SAML1, it looks as though it's "Saml2StringNameID" for SAML2).

What can cause confusion is that when the IdP issues the <Assertion> it looks for a nameFormat of "urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:nameid-format:unspecified", but when it issues the <AttributeStatement> it is looking for a nameFormat of "urn:mace:shibboleth:1.0:nameIdentifier".

to get around this I added the following

<resolver:AttributeEncoder xsi:type="SAML1StringNameIdentifier" xmlns="urn:mace:shibboleth:2.0:attribute:encoder"/>

to my attribute-resolver.xml (for principal - I haven't had a chance to play with using a transient as the NameIdentifier yet).

What suprised me is that attributes of type SAML1StringNameIdentifier are issued as "normal" attributes as well (or are, if they are the only SAML1 attribute encodings defined)
Further, if I define an attribute with encoding "SAML1String", it seems to forget its name

<saml:Attribute AttributeNamespace="urn:mace:shibboleth:1.0:attributeNamespace:uri">

But I've not spent much time chasing that so its probably a misconfiguration on my part - I'll get onto this this afternoon...