shibboleth-dev - Re: shib2: headernames

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: shib2: headernames

  • From: Velpi <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: shib2: headernames
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 11:04:01 +0200

Being able to map one attribute to two variables (one being the new
environment variable, and the other being the old header, or even both
being both env var and header at the same time) would provide a transition
environment. I think the current code doesn't support that. It may be a
trivial extension that could solve both the alias issue and provide
transition environments now and in the future.

I think I'm coming around to your argument for splitting the option so that
a given id can map to both an environment variable (on Apache at least) and
a header at the same time. That doesn't duplicate anything in the cache, but
gives you simpler migration to that feature for apps, since they just change
at will. There's some extra load during each request but that's a choice
people could make.

I'm much less comfortable with multiple ids as it may complicate the code
quite a bit. I'll have to think about it and see if it's possible without a
lot of changes. I don't think it's acceptable to just create multiple
attribute objects internally and duplicate the data, if I can't do it
properly I shouldn't do it.

Sounds great! Thanks for considering.

-- Velpi