shibboleth-dev - Memcache plugin for Shibboleth session/replay cache

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Memcache plugin for Shibboleth session/replay cache

  • From: André Cruz <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Memcache plugin for Shibboleth session/replay cache
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 15:58:36 +0100

Hello all.

Out of necessity I developed a memcache plugin for shibboleth 1.3 to serve as session and replay cache. It's probably very specific to our needs here but if there is interest I can submit the code.

Advantages:
- Very fast. Much faster than odbc and not much slower than in-memory cache
- No need for sticky sessions on the SP since the cache is shared
- The same cache can be used by various SPs/applications and, theoretically, reduce the individual SP's memory consumption. This is done adding a prefix to the sessionid so they don't clash.
- Can be configured to generate a map like (SomeAttributeValue -> [ SESSIONID1, SESSIONID2]). We use this map when a logout is done at our IDP. We fetch this map and delete all the sessions of this particular user. Instant global logout. :)

Regards,
André Cruz

  • Memcache plugin for Shibboleth session/replay cache, André Cruz, 07/02/2007