shibboleth-dev - RE: Sub: Can I send decisions from RM to the Portal ??

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: Sub: Can I send decisions from RM to the Portal ??

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: RE: Sub: Can I send decisions from RM to the Portal ??
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 11:00:48 -0500

> The term "Resource Manager" isn't used much any more (although I know
> what you mean).

An RM is just an architectural abstraction, and so are most of the other
terms. As Tom said, there is no shar and never has been. These are abstract
boxes that don't exist in a real implementation. Real life is messier and
involves partitioning things based on the reality of web servers and how
applications work.

Logically, a Shibboleth SP, which is a web server authentication and session
mgmt filter, includes RM functionality in the form of web server access
control integration. That's all. There is no stand alone functionality
involving authorization.