shibboleth-dev - Re: Discovery Service

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Discovery Service

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Discovery Service
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 21:15:51 -0500

Tom Scavo wrote:
Is this a design for a per-SP discovery service? This seems to be the
case since the protocol doesn't require the unique identifier of an
SP. Also, since the return URL is arbitrary, how do you prevent a
rogue SP from spoofing the user to divulge their preferred IdP?

No, it's not for one SP. It may be maintained in that way or centrally like the current WAYF concept. If you look at Ian's comment on the page you'll see his suggested adding the provider ID (in order to do some advanced filtering, not because it's needed). I imagine we'll okay that on tomorrow's call.

To integrate with the SessionInitiator at the SP, would it be better
to call the output parameter 'providerId' instead of 'entityID'? Then
the return URL could point to a (lazy) SessionInitiator endpoint (or
maybe I'm misunderstanding the purpose of this new service).

We're standardizing on entity ID throughout the code.

--
Chad La Joie 2052-C Harris Bldg
OIS-Middleware 202.687.0124