shibboleth-dev - Re: Java SP Architecture: Attribute Resolver

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Java SP Architecture: Attribute Resolver

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Java SP Architecture: Attribute Resolver
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:15:54 -0400

Tom Scavo wrote:
On 9/21/06, Chad La Joie
We've often heard two feature requests on the SP side of things:
- The ability to pull attributes from multiple sources (e.g. local
databases, other attribute authorities, etc)

Will these local attributes be bundled as a separate assertion? I
would think so since local attributes might be governed by policy
distinct from campus attributes.

No, just like the IdP the resolver isn't going to return assertions, just lists of attributes.

- The ability to transform an attribute (e.g. base64 decode)

For those familiar with the IdP you might say "isn't that what the
attribute resolver does?" and of course you'd be right. So I'm
currently looking at including an attribute resolver in the SP.

Will resolver.xml be 100% compatible across the IdP and SP? I see
this as a requirement.

Unknown at this time. I don't know why it would be a requirement, I can't imagine that you'd ever encounter a case where you wanted to copy one from the other. That said, I do think that for support reasons they should be compatible if possible.

Like the current SP, attributes will be filtered based on
an acceptance policy.

A separate policy file, right? Separate assertions, separate policy.

I don't care how many assertions there are, the policy just evaluates a pile of attribute objects.

While I believe this model will allow the two uses cases above (and many
more) to be met, I currently have no intention of shipping code that
would allow people to contact another SAML IdP for attributes. This is
certainly doable, and the design is meant to allow that, but there are
currently to many deployment specific variables to provide a useful data
connector.

Not sure why this is causing you to lose sleep. ;-) Once you add
local attributes to the mix, it's not that big of a leap to add
standalone attribute query. In fact, a profile already exists for
that, so there are no unknowns.

There are currently no profiles that I know of for doing this unless liberty has an inter-provider account linking spec (which may be part of disco/profile service, I don't know).

Other thoughts and comments on this?

There are three sources of attributes here: the local Authn Authority,
the local Attribute Authority, and zero or more remote AAs. So there
are two or more assertions in this scenario. Only the assertions
obtained from the remote AAs are signed. All are bound (sequentially)
to the proxy cert.

Then write a data connector to fetch and process the information and expose a pile of attributes. I don't care about the format/data structure the attributes are read from, that's the connectors job to figure out.
--
Chad La Joie 2052-C Harris Bldg
OIS-Middleware 202.687.0124