shibboleth-dev - RE: F2F and SLO

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: F2F and SLO

  • From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>
  • To: Shibboleth Dev Team <>
  • Subject: RE: F2F and SLO
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 00:26:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Jim Fox wrote:

disagree with you about where the right ending place is. I suspect it's
somewhere central to the federation of sites that is associated with that
scarab.

Not a chance. It is, after all, the very essence of shib that no one knows it's there. Students at UW, to give an example, wouldn't know InCommon or any other federation from the man in the moon. They log in to UW and they expect to log out from UW. Even when they click on a logout button on some remote application they expect it to be a UW site that finally says, "You're logged out."

There are lots of ways to organize a "federation of sites" as Scott calls it. A set of financial services entities, for example, might be organized around a site (or could be more than one) that acts as an SP but provides a starting point for users to access lots of associated services, with SSO and potentially several IdPs; my credit card company's site is kind of like that already. This is a natural extension of the portal worldview, which is very common. Universities (or maybe it's just us university middleware types) tend to be IdP-centric for some reason, but other industries seem to be less so, from what I've seen.

- RL "Bob"