shibboleth-dev - Re: restarting the IdP needed for change in trust roots?

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: restarting the IdP needed for change in trust roots?

  • From: Ian Young <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: restarting the IdP needed for change in trust roots?
  • Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 14:27:51 +0100

Chad La Joie wrote:

How are you currently fetching your metadata?

The IdP in question is configured to look at a particular file using the standard XMLMetadata provider. We use metadatatool to suck the metadata down, verify the signature and then overwrite that file directly.

Is it cached somewhere? Was that cache updated when you changed the metadata?

I think I'm saying that we don't do any of that, outside of the IdP itself. I did verify that the file itself had changed, and as I say it has always been my experience that, for example, new SPs have been no problem with this arrangement.

The code that uses that particular is the ShibbolethTrust code in the common.provider package. You pass in a RoleDescriptor for the entity which is fetched from the metadata provider that you have configured. If the provider is caching the data and wasn't updated that would cause the problem. The trust code does not do any caching, so in theory you shouldn't need to restart.

That's what I thought. Might be my imagination, but the condition persisted for some hours before we thought to try a restart.

By coincidence it looks like we will be doing another similar change soon, so we can perhaps see whether it is repeatable. Kind of a slow business debugging something that only happens twice in a blue moon, though.

-- Ian