shibboleth-dev - RE: FW: [lap-all] ID-WSF 2.0 Release 3 Review Draft Specification Set posted publicly

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

RE: FW: [lap-all] ID-WSF 2.0 Release 3 Review Draft Specification Set posted publicly

  • From: "Scott Cantor" <>
  • To: <>, <>
  • Subject: RE: FW: [lap-all] ID-WSF 2.0 Release 3 Review Draft Specification Set posted publicly
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 15:55:54 -0400

> Sorry for being nosy! but I'm curious about your statement. I was sort of
> under the impression that Liberty was big in business and Shibboleth was
> big in education. Do you think that's a fair (but simplistic) view?

Liberty markets itself to businesses because, well, we don't buy stuff like
that and their members include a lot of software companies. Kind of sensible
on their part. Liberty itself is beginning to understand that adoption of
any infrastructure spec requires broad availability, which is why they're
starting to seriously look at open source as a complement to what the member
companies might do.

My statement about fighting wasn't about Liberty anyway, it's the workshop
that Tom was talking about, or more precisely the activities going on around
them. Some of it is really good discussion, but a lot of it is "my
protocol's easier than yours". Oh well.

> Would you be willing to dust off the crystal ball and give it
> a polish? see what's on the cards? or would that require a few pints
> beforehand ;)

All I'm prepared to say about Liberty WSF is already in the Wiki, I think.
The project is mapped out to version 2.0 and that's all I'm focused on right
now, and it doesn't include any web services support yet. All I'm trying to
do is get people working on projects to look at what's out there.