shibboleth-dev - Re: extension installation order

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: extension installation order

  • From: "Tom Scavo" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: extension installation order
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 11:43:31 -0400

So the recommendation is that dependencies be collapsed into a single
extension? Let me give an example where this is problematic. Suppose
I have a JAR file in the lib directory that a deployer chooses to
install or not as the case may be. Also, there are some configuration
files and data files to accompany the JAR file---if the JAR file is
not installed, the config files and data files should not be
installed. How do I give the deployer the option to choose whether or
not this subextension is actually installed?

The only solution I could think of is to package the JAR file along
with the config and data files into a separate extension directory.
This is an acceptable solution as long as the extension does not
depend on the subextension (or vice versa), otherwise the installation
will fail.

Is there a better way to do this? Can extensions have include files
ext-lib.include, ext-conf.include, and ext-etc.include like Shibboleth
has idp-conf.include, idp-lib.include, and sp-conf.include?

Thanks,
Tom

On 4/14/06, Chad La Joie