shibboleth-dev - Internet2 Test LDAP server

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Internet2 Test LDAP server

  • From: Bonnie Ferguson <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Internet2 Test LDAP server
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 15:25:01 +0100

Hello everyone

I am configuring my Shibboleth Identity Provider to use the Internet2 Test LDAP server in Ann Arbor, following the intructions on Section O.2. on http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/guides/idp/installation.html. Section 2.v. says to change the java.naming.provider.url Property element's value to ldap://shib2.internet2.edu/dc=internet2,dc=edu.

However, I am having trouble connecting to this ldap server - the shib-error shows the following error:

006-04-04 09:09:23,494 DEBUG [IdP] - Attempting to connect to JNDI directory source as a sanity check.
2006-04-04 09:09:23,622 ERROR [IdP] - Failed to startup directory context: javax.naming.CommunicationException: shib2.internet2.edu:389 [Root exception is java.net.UnknownHostException: shib2.internet2.edu]

I also tried using the following:
- connecting to ldap.shib2.internet2.edu with an open source LDAP Browser from my PC - Failed to connect
- telnet shib2.internet2.edu 389 from my ShibIdP (Solaris) server - Unknown host
- nslookup shib2.internet2.edu from my ShibIdP (Solaris) server - xxx can't find shib2.internet2.edu: Non-existent host/domain

I was able to connect to my institution's LDAP server (ldap.kent.ac.uk) and the Pennsylvania State University's open LDAP server (ldap.psu.edu) without problems.

Would anyone be able to help with this problem? I am not sure whether to skip this step and start configuring Shib with my own LDAP server - I don't like the idea of leaving this problem unresolved. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Bonnie

--
Bonnie Ferguson