shibboleth-dev - Re: Question re Shibboleth eauth approvial

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Question re Shibboleth eauth approvial

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Question re Shibboleth eauth approvial
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:11:25 -0500

At 9:36 AM -0600 3/29/06, Von Welch wrote:
The new about the Shibboleth listing as a eauth approved technology is making the rounds in the Grid community. Please see the question below that came up in the TeraGrid security working group in response. The language regarding Shibboleth does seem a little unclear in the eauth documents. Could someone clarify what they mean?

we passed the certification tests in April 2005. As noted in the email, we were added to the approved technology list just this week....

we asked the same question, and got this response:

The PMO made a "business decision" that open source and SAML tool kits could
be used however a special waiver would be required. The issue is simply that
because an organization is not using a COTS product, it increases the risk
associated with interoperability.

There are at least 2 federation members currently running with either open
source or tool kits.

not that I understand the answer -- I think its just as easy to mis-configure a COTS product as Shibboleth.

I'd note that this list of approved software applies to sites joining the Federal E-Authn Federation, and that, currently, joining that Federation requires a site to climb over several significant legal hurdles. Top leadership at e-authn has recently changed due to a retirement, so requirements may change. But, IMHO, no campus or research center would agree to the current requirements.

I'd note that InCommmon and the Federal E-authn Federation are currently exploring "inter-federation interoperability". That may provide an alternate route for campuses and research centers.