shibboleth-dev - Re: Feature request for metadatatool

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: Feature request for metadatatool

  • From: Scott Cantor <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Feature request for metadatatool
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 14:22:42 -0500

Lukas Haemmerle wrote:

So, one could argue like you and reduce the tools functionality to the
minimum. Then again I wonder why the downloading capability was added as
a feature at all.

It wasn't. The parameter is fed directly to the parsing runtime to load the file, and that runtime supports URLs. There was no special effort to support network access, but no interest in *preventing* it either.

I guess it was to enhance the ease-of use, maybe to
prevent everybody writing their own wrapper scripts. However, I think
that quite some people exactly have done that, which implies that there
still are some features that could be useful to add, among them the one
I suggested.

I just don't see why anybody would want to avoid using a much better HTTP client, or what it buys us.

I think all the tools need to be scrapped and rebuilt with some common foundation, but finding anybody to do it has been impossible so far.