shibboleth-dev - Re: authentication authority

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

Re: authentication authority

  • From: Von Welch <>
  • To: Tom Scavo <>
  • Cc: Scott Cantor <>, Shibboleth Development <>
  • Subject: Re: authentication authority
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 09:56:39 -0500

Scott,

This is complicated enough it might take a phone call, but let me take a run at it...

Increasingly with Grid services we're seeing the need to couple them with existing authentication services, in essence creating *-to- X509 translators. For example, we now have an online CA (MyProxy) that offers both PAM and SASL authentication mechanisms, allowing a deployment to use an existing LDAP, Kerberos (either password or TGT), Radius, or other (those are just the ones we've tested) authentication service to generate X509 credentials for their users.

So that's all and good if we're just thinking about authentication, but if I preach to the choir, that's just the start. Imagine for a moment that a site is running Shibboleth - we can probably use PAM or SAS to leverage their existing authentication service (just like the SSO does), but if we want to query for attributes, we're still left with the message name translation issue (from X509 DN to what ever name the site uses locally).

There are two ways to solve this that we see:

1) allow for algorithmic mappings from DNs to local site names. Then a stateless name mapper plugin could be written to convert the X509 DN in the SAML attribute query to a locally meaningful name for querying the local attribute DB.

2) Ship a SAML authentication assertion along with the X509 certificate. What this would entail is instead of contacting the site authentication service directly, we contact a SAML authentication service (aka the Shib SSO), with both validates the authentication and provides a SAML authn assertion which can then be later presented back to the AA.

The benefit to #2 is now we're completely out of the internals of Shibboleth. We don't care how the site generates the SAML authn assertion, what's in it, or how the AA parses it, we just carry it along for the ride (just like a web broswer and SP).

What we need to make this work though is a standard (network) interface to the SSO/authentication assertion service.

Von