shibboleth-dev - State replication extension for Shibboleth 1.3 IdP

Subject: Shibboleth Developers

State replication extension for Shibboleth 1.3 IdP

  • From: Chad La Joie <>
  • To:
  • Subject: State replication extension for Shibboleth 1.3 IdP
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 14:09:16 -0400

I know at least a few people have tried to deploy clustered instances of 1.2 IdPs and have had success at it. With Shib 1.2 you needed a means of allowing each node to resolve handles into principals, regards of which node created the handle. Some people used the cryptohandle to do this and I think at least one group implemented a database driven name mapper to get deal with. Now, with 1.3, you have to worry about artifact mappings as well.

So, I've developed an extension, a name-mapper and an artifact-mapper to be exact, that is capable of replicating in-memory state across nodes without the use of centralized datastores, like databases, or container specific features (so it should work on any of the one containers we support now ;)). The code is still pretty rough, and hasn't even been tested yet (still working on getting up my clustered servers) though it does compile.

The project website is below and comments are welcome. I just wanted to at least let you guys know in case you were thinking about doing something similar.

http://www.middleware.georgetown.edu/dokuwiki/doku.php/projects:hashib

--
Chad La Joie 315Q St. Mary's Hall
Project Sentinel 202.687.0124

  • State replication extension for Shibboleth 1.3 IdP, Chad La Joie, 08/02/2005